Do you know what to put in your rubbish bin?

Household waste that can not go into your recycling bin needs to be placed into your rubbish bin. A list of recyclable items can be found here.

Some things, however, must not go in your rubbish bin.

We’ve put a helpful list below of what not to use your rubbish bin for and suggestions about how you should dispose of them another way.

Hazardous Waste

Asbestos graphicHousehold and garden chemicals graphicHazardous waste is anything that could be a risk to people or the environment and includes:

  • Asbestos.
  • Liquid paint (see below).
  • Gas bottles
  • Household chemicals (such as drain cleaner, descaler, pesticides/insecticides, oven cleaners).
  • Fertiliser.
  • Used engine oil.

This isn’t a complete list and you can find more information about hazardous waste by visiting

Used engine oil graphicGas bottles graphicIf you have hazardous waste you need to dispose of, please contact either your local council, who may offer a hazardous waste collection, but they might charge you for this service. Or you can find a specialist hazardous waste disposal contractor.



Paint graphicLiquid paint should not be put in your rubbish bin.

Please use the paint up and leave the tin with the lid off to let any remaining paint dry out before putting it in your rubbish bin.

If you have liquid paint you want to dispose of, please look out for our Household Hazardous Waste Days at our Recycling Centres.

Electrical and electronic items

Electrical graphic

If your old electrical item still works, consider donating it to a charity or put it on Freegle or Freecycle so someone else can make use of it.

For residents of Norwich City Council, you may be able to leave small electrical items out for collection – to find out, click here for more details.

For more advice on electrical and electronic items you no longer want, please visit our page about electricals.

Business Waste

Any waste you have from operating a business should be collected separately and not with household rubbish.

Please contact your local council or a private contractor, which can be found online or in a telephone directory for more information.