Make Do and Mend Workshops
We recently piloted four Make do and Mend workshops in association with the Costume and Textiles department of the Norfolk Museum Service. They were a great success with a wide variety of people attending. With your help the plan is to take these workshops out into Norfolk. Are you interested in volunteering your services? Can you instruct others how to mend or upcycle clothes and textiles? Do you have a venue in mind? Would you like support from us? If yes, then please do get in touch and help others to love their clothes for longer.
Norfolk County Council run courses
Please take a look at Norfolk County Council’s adult learning pages to view details of courses that teach a variety of sewing and dressmaking techniques.
Courses by other providers
Additionally, a range of sewing and textile classes are run in Norfolk by other organisations:
- makeplace Norwich offers a range of sewing classes at both beginner and intermediate levels. They also offer some children’s classes www.makeplacenorwich.co.uk
- Trade School Norwich offers classes for adults but with a difference. Students pay for classes with bartered items that the teacher requests. Cash never changes hands. Sewing and clothes repair classes are regularly offered, as well as sessions based on ideas for recycling textiles, such as rag rugging. www.tradeschool.coop/norwich
- The Little Gallery in Dereham offers quilting and patch working and creative textile courses www.thegallerydereham.com/classes
- GillyBee Designs in Brundall offers a range of sewing classes for adults of all abilities and also some children’s classes. Additionally regular sewing cafés are run where you can take along a part finished sewing project for expert guidance on moving it forward www,gillybee.co.uk
- Sew Creative at Wroxham Barns offers a whole range of quilting and other needlecraft courses. www.wroxhambarns.co.uk/outlet/sew-creative
- Janet Major – sustainable textile maker and stylist offering some demonstrations and workshops www.janetmajorimage.co.uk
Please note that these organisations are in no way associated with the Norfolk Waste partnership, or any of the councils that form part of it, and we accept no responsibility for any part of their courses or any information contained within their associated websites.
If you run any similar classes and would like them to be considered to appear on this page please contact us with details using the form below.
And if you think you could become a volunteer to help us promote our Make do and Mend sessions, or know someone who can help, please let us know.